We offer Online Ordering and Worldwide Delivery Service
An edge finder helps the operator to determine the edge position of the workpart after it is clamped by the workholder. MTA Direct supplies 2 types of edge finders: SOE Optical Edge Finder and SME Mechanical Edge Finder.
Optical Edge Finder
The SOE Optcial Edge Finder has built-in LED (and beeper for some models). When the ball head touches the workpart, the Egde Finder LED will light up (and beep for beeper models). The position accuracy of SOE Edge finder is within 0.005mm.
Mechanical Edge Finder
How to use a Mechanical Edge Finder
A Mechanical Edge Finder has 3 modes: Wobbling (Fig.2), Centered (Fig.3), and Offset (Fig.4).
1. Insert the Edge Finder into the toolholder.(Fig.1)
2. Run the spindle at RPM 400 to 600.
3. The Edge Finder will be in Wobbling mode.(Fig.2)
4. Then we move the Edge Finder toward the workpart. As the Edge Finder contacts the workpart, the Edge Finder will transit from Wobbling Mode to Centered Mode.(Fig.3)
5. We continue move the Edge Finder toward the workpart, the Edge Finder will transit from Centered Mode to Offset Mode.(Fig.4)
The Edge position of the workpart will be the transit position between the Centered Mode and the Offset Mode.
Link to a demo video showing how to use a Mechanical Edge Finder: Demo Video